Couple dies after furnace malfunction at Maywood home
MAYWOOD, Ill. (October 7, 2020) – A Maywood couple died over the weekend after their furnace malfunctioned and overheated their home.
According to the Chicago Sun Times, the son of the couple checked on his parents’ home in the 1200 block of South 15th Avenue Sunday afternoon and found the temperature to be “abnormally hot.”
Paramedics were called to the scene and found the couple inside, Maywood police spokesperson Carmen Rivera said in a statement.
Leevell Robinson, 80, was pronounced dead at the scene and his wife, Ora Robinson, 78, was taken to Loyola University Medical Center and later pronounced dead.
The couple’s son told police the furnace was previously serviced after malfunctioning.
Autopsy results revealed they died of heat exposure due to a furnace malfunctioning, the medical examiner’s office said. Their deaths were ruled accidental.