Mother sues nurse, hospital after newborn baby suffocates in hospital bed
PORTLAND, Ore. (August 11, 2017) – An Oregon mother is suing a nurse and the hospital she worked at for negligence after her newborn son suffocated to death in her hospital bed.
According to the lawsuit which was filed last week, a Portland Adventist Medical Center nurse brought Monica Thompson’s son, Jacob, to her hospital bed to breastfeed. Thompson claims the nurse places the newborn next to her and left the pair unattended.
Three hours prior, Thompson was given painkillers and sleep aids after having a Caesarean section. An hour after her baby was placed in her bed, Thompson noticed her son was unresponsive and called for help. However, a nurse didn’t immediately come to help, so Thompson carried her son into the hallway where a nurse assisted her, USA Today reports. Jacob, who was Thompson’s first child, was placed on life support and died six days later, on August 12, 2012. He was just 10 days old.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, babies should never share a bed with parents. Additionally, pillows, sheets, blankets and other items should not be places in the baby’s bed.
Doctors, nurses, midwives and other medical professionals often make preventable mistakes before, during and after a child’s delivery. Those mistakes can cause devastating birth injuries or even death like the case in Oregon.
For more than 30 years, Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C., has focused on helping families affected by birth injuries and medical malpractice. We know how to effectively investigate and litigate these highly complex cases and are passionate about seeking justice for our clients.
If you believe a medical error played a role in your child’s death or birth injury, you should take steps immediately. Contact us for a free consultation. Our experienced attorneys can review your case and answer questions about your legal rights.