Actor Bill Paxton's family files wrongful death lawsuit against hospital, surgeon
LOS ANGELES (February 14, 2018) – Nearly one year after 61-year-old actor Bill Paxton died from complications from surgery, his family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the surgeon and hospital that treated him.
Paxton, best known for his roles in Apollo 13 and Titanic, suffered a stroke nearly two weeks after undergoing heart surgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles to repair an aortic aneurysm and replace his bicuspid aortic valve.
Paxton’s family says the actor’s subsequent death on February 25, 2017 could have been prevented.
Last week, his wife, son, daughter and estate filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court alleging wrongful death, negligence and battery against the hospital and cardiovascular surgeon Ali Khoynezhad.
The lawsuit alleges Khoynezhad did not disclose that his planned surgical technique was risky and “unconventional,” that he lacked experience with it, and that it was “beyond the scope of his (hospital) privileges.”
According to CBS News, Khoynezhad was not in the hospital when Paxton began suffering from complications 11 days after the surgery and neglected to provide continuing care after he left. This caused a delay in treatment and further cardiac damage. According to the lawsuit, those factors resulted in Paxton having to undergo an emergency second surgery to repair the damaged coronary artery.
In addition, the family says the hospital failed to discipline Khoynezhad for his wrongful conduct in Paxton’s case and failed to disclose relevant information to Paxton and his family about the risky nature of the initial procedure he underwent.
Khoynezhad left his position at the medical center shortly after Paxton’s death, according to the Paxton family’s attorneys.
As many as 250,000 people in America are the victims of medical malpractice every year. If you believe that you or a loved one has suffered harm due to medical negligence, contact our attorneys, who can provide you and your family with compassionate and professional service and pursue compensation.
Patrick A. Salvi concentrates his legal practice in several limited areas primarily involving a trial practice in cases concerning serious personal injury, medical malpractice, wrongful death, and mass torts. Mr. Salvi has achieved record-breaking jury verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients, including serving as lead counsel in obtaining an Illinois record-high $148 million jury verdict and a Lake County record $33 million jury verdict.