Safety group releases annual list of top 10 ‘worst’ toys
CHICAGO – Although intended for fun and entertainment, many toys can contain hidden hazards that put children at risk of injury or death. To help parents make smart and safe decisions this holiday season, World Against Toys Causing Harm Inc. has announced their annual list of “10 Worst Toys” of the year.
Unfortunately, there have been many deaths, disfigurements and disabilities inflicted upon children as a result of poorly designed and tested toys. Each year, there is an average estimated 240,000 toy-related injuries to children. Nonetheless, dangerous toys remain on store shelves and retail websites.
“At a time when children are spending more time playing at home to curb the spread of Covid-19, toy safety remains a critical concern,” W.A.T.C.H said in a press release.
Classic toy dangers, such as small parts, strings, projectiles, toxic substances, rigid materials, and inaccurate warnings and labels, continue to reappear in new toys, putting children at risk. This year, W.A.T.C.H highlighted toys that encourage aggressive or violent play that could result in potential impact or laceration injuries and toys sold with unrealistic warnings and instructions.
On Monday, W.A.T.C.H. demonstrated why toys such as the “Calico Critters Nursery Friends,” “Star Wars Mandalorian Darksaber,” “Missile Launcher,” should not be in the hands of children and offered tips for identifying hazards so parents and caregivers know what traps to avoid when inspecting toys already in their homes and when buying toys.
W.A.T.C.H’S full list of most dangerous toys for 2020 includes:
- Calico Critters Nursery Friends Set – Choking hazard
- Missile Launcher – Risk of eye and facial injuries
- Marvel Avengers Vibranium Power FX Claw – Risk of eye and facial injuries
- WWE Jumbo Superstar Fists – Potential for blunt force and impact injuries
- Boom City Racers Starter Pack – Risk of eye and facial injuries
- My Sweet Love Lots to Love Babies Minis – Potential for ingestion or choking
- Star Wars Mandalorian Darksaber – Potential for blunt force and eye injuries
- Gloria Owl – Risk of ingestion/ aspiration injuries
- Scientific Explorer Sci-Fi Slime – Potential for chemical related injuries
- The Original Boomerang Stunt UFO – Potential for cutting and propeller-related injuries