Few events in life are more traumatic to a family than a birth injury. As a parent of an injured child, you have many questions about what might have gone wrong during labor or delivery.
If your child was born with Cerebral Palsy, has suffered a Brachial Plexus injury (such as Erb’s Palsy or Klumpke’s Palsy) or has shoulder dystocia, a doctor’s error or hospital mistake may have occurred.
This kind of mistake is known as medical malpractice. As the unfortunate victim of medical malpractice, your child will be facing a lifetime of special medical care and hospital bills. How can you best care for your child and pay those bills?
At a time like this, it’s reassuring to know you have the lawyers of Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C. on your side.
Our Chicago injury lawyers have a record of 200 cases with verdicts or settlements of $1 million or more. Many of those recoveries arose from birth injury claims.
Allow us to help you and your family. Call us today at 312-361-1823 to discuss your birth injury situation and potential legal rights.
Common Reasons For Birth Injuries
About three of every 100 births involve some type of serious birth injury. In some situations, “natural” circumstances can cause oxygen deprivation during the labor and delivery process. For instance, the umbilical cord may become compressed or twisted, or the baby may be too large to easily pass through the birth canal.
In many instances, birth injuries, especially to the brain, are caused by mistakes made by doctors, hospitals or other medical professionals during the delivery process. Those mistakes may include:
- Delay in ordering a Caesarean section;
- Failure to respond to bleeding;
- Failure to respond to umbilical cord entanglement ;
- Failure to respond to fetal distress;
- Misuse of vacuum extractors or forceps;
- Poor care of newborn immediately following birth;
- Miscommunication between doctors and nurses;
- Complications related to genetic testing.
If any of those events occurred during your labor or your child’s delivery, medical malpractice may have played a part in your child’s birth injury.
A medical mistake can result in a range of birth injuries.
- Brain injuries caused by oxygen deprivation or bleeding inside the brain from pregnancy trauma are the most serious birth injuries.
- Other serious injuries are Cerebral Palsy; Brachial Plexus injuries such as Erb’s Palsy or Klumpke’s Palsy; and shoulder dystocia.
- Birth injuries may also include temporary paralysis, a fractured collar bone or a fractured arm.
Consult An Experienced Birth Injury Law Firm
If you suspect that your child’s birth injuries were caused by medical negligence, consult our experienced birth injury lawyers as soon as possible. It’s important to act promptly so we can obtain and review all relevant medical records. Once we review your case, we can give you our honest assessment of whether your claim has merit.
Compassion. Experience. Results. Reputation. These are distinguishing characteristics of the birth injury attorneys at Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C. Our firm has convenient office locations in downtown Chicago and Waukegan, Ill. We also have a network of lawyers across the nation to assist you with your case. Contact us today at 312-361-1823.