Vaping has been touted by some as a safer option than traditional cigarette smoking. In fact, many younger people start smoking e-cigarettes without ever having smoked before. The truth is: Vaping is not safe. It has been shown to cause lung damage.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported more than 800 lung injury cases in people with a history of vaping or using e-cigarettes. These cases span 46 states and 1 U.S. territory. The CDC has also reported 12 deaths among e-cigarette users in 10 states.
If you began smoking Juul e-cigarettes or another brand because you thought they were safe, and now you have been diagnosed with a lung disease or suffered from a pulmonary injury, you need to speak with a knowledgeable product liability attorney from Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C. today. Our experienced Chicago vaping lung damage attorneys have the skills and the resources to hold large e-cigarette companies like Juul accountable for the harm they have caused you.
Schedule a free consultation now to learn how we can help.
DANGEROUS SUBSTANCES IN E-CIGARETTE AEROSOL
Smoke from regular cigarettes contains a cancer-causing mix of 7,000 chemicals. Although e-cigarette aerosol typically has fewer toxic chemicals, it is still dangerous. The CDC warns that e-cigarette aerosol can contain:
- Ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs
- Flavoring such as diacetyl, a chemical that has been linked to a serious lung disease
- Cancer-causing chemicals
- Volatile organic compounds
- Heavy metals such as nickel, tin, and lead
- Nicotine, which has been shown to have serious health effects
Further, the CDC notes: “It is difficult for consumers to know what e-cigarette products contain. For example, some e-cigarettes marketed as containing zero percent nicotine have been found to contain nicotine.” To make matters worse, some people may smoke “street vapes,” which can contain a wide range of toxic chemicals.
For children and teens especially, vaping and exposure to e-cigarettes can be life threatening. The CDC warns that acute nicotine exposure can be toxic, and swallowing, breathing, or absorbing e-cigarette liquid can be poisonous for both children and adults.
DIAGNOSED WITH LUNG DAMAGE FROM JUUL VAPE USE?
Juul Labs Inc., in particular, has been a target of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which has issued the company a warning letter over “marketing unauthorized modified risk tobacco products by engaging in labeling, advertising, and/or other activities directed to consumers, including a presentation given to youth at a school.”
Juul describes the content in its pods as “proprietary e-liquid formula,” which contains:
- Propylene glycol and glycerine, which “can form carcinogenic compounds when heated,” according to a study by Pediatrics
- Benzoic acid, which can cause coughing, shortness of breath, sore throat, nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting
If you began vaping using Juul products and have now been diagnosed with lung problems, please contact our attorneys today to learn about your legal rights.
LUNG DISEASE LINKED TO VAPING
The American Lung Association has warned of the potential harmful effects e-cigarettes can have on consumers’ health. It notes that chemicals in e-cigarettes have been linked to:
- Damage to cells in the lung
- Acute lung injury
- Lung cancer
- Heart disease
Just like regular cigarettes, the electronic version can also produce harmful secondhand smoke.
LEGAL HELP FOR E-CIG SMOKERS DIAGNOSED WITH LUNG DAMAGE
Lung diseases and serious damage to the lungs can be irreversible. Victims may be facing a lifetime of medical expenses as well as a devastating blow to their quality of life. Our vaping lung damage lawyers understand the financial strain that a pulmonary illness can place on a person and a family. We fight to hold Juul and other e-cigarette companies accountable for the harm they have caused consumers.
Although each case we handle is unique, some of the common types of compensation we pursue for victims of dangerous products include:
- Payment for medical expenses, including costs for X-rays, MRIs, hospital stays, doctor visits, medications, surgeries, rehabilitative therapy, etc.
- Compensation for future health care expenses
- Payment for wages lost as a result of lung disease
- Damages to account for a reduction in future earning capacity
- Compensation for the pain and suffering a victim endures due to lung injury
Ultimately, our goal is to make sure our clients are not left with a financial burden due to their injuries or illness.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE DIAGNOSED WITH LUNG DAMAGE FROM VAPING
If you or a loved one is diagnosed with lung damage or pulmonary disease due to vaping, you should take action to protect your legal rights.
- Gather medical records documenting your diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Start a file with your medical bills and expenses. You should also document any time you miss from work due to your illness.
- Make notes of when you started vaping and what brand and type of vaping product you used. If your illness came on suddenly, save the product you were using at the time.
- Talk to our vaping lung damage attorneys as soon as possible. There is a time limit on how long you have to file a claim after you are diagnosed with a vaping illness. Our lawyers will want to begin work on your claim as soon as possible.
You should not be forced to pay for the harm caused by a dangerous product. Talk to our attorneys now about your legal right to financial compensation.
WHAT ARE E-CIGARETTES?
E-cigarettes are an alternative to traditional cigarette smoking. They typically work by using battery power to heat a liquid that contains nicotine, flavorings, marijuana, or other substances. The heat turns the liquid into an aerosol that is then inhaled by the user.
E-cigarettes may be made to look like regular cigarettes, pipes, or cigars. Sometimes, they are designed to pass as everyday items such as pens. They may be referred to as e-cigs, vape pens, vapes, e-hookahs, mods, tank systems, or electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS).
TALK TO A VAPING LUNG DAMAGE LAWYER FOR FREE NOW
At Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C., we have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our deserving clients. For more than 35 years, our Chicago product liability law firm has been standing strong for the rights of everyday individuals who find themselves at the mercy of large, profit-driven corporations. Our respected trial attorneys have the experience and the resources to take on these deep-pocketed companies, and we have earned a reputation for doing just that.
Please call us or contact us online today to tell us your story. Our attorneys will meet with you in a free, no-obligation case consultation. There, we can answer any questions you may have and explain the process for pursuing the compensation you need and the justice you deserve.