Owners and managers at stores, hotels, government buildings, homes, and any other commercial, private, or public property have a responsibility to make sure their premises are safe for anyone who legally visits or enters. When these property owners and managers fail to maintain a safe environment and someone gets hurt, they can be held liable for the damages suffered.
If you were hurt in an accident on someone else’s property, the Waukegan premises liability lawyers at Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C. are here to help. With over 35 years of experience, our industry-leading personal injury lawyers have a proven track record of helping clients get maximum compensation for the losses they have suffered. For example, we helped a Lake County woman win a record-setting $148 million premises liability verdict after a poorly maintained shelter at O’Hare International Airport collapsed, leaving her paralyzed from the waist down.
Don’t wait to get the legal advice you need after a premises liability accident. Contact Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C. right away. Let our experienced Waukegan premises liability attorneys stand up for your rights. Contact us today for your free legal consultation.
Types of Premises Liability Claims in Illinois
Some of the most common types of premises liability claims in Illinois include:
- Slip and fall accidents on the same level, such as on a restaurant’s slippery floor
- Falls from higher levels, such as platforms
- Building or structure collapses
- Elevator and escalator accidents
- Explosions or fires
- Daycare accidents
- Parking lot or garage accidents
- Dog bites or other animal attacks
- Ferris wheel or other fair ride accidents
- Negligent security
- Swimming pool accidents
- Falling objects
- Accidents caused by ice or snow
- Automatic sliding door accidents
- Contamination or exposure to toxic substances
Compensation in a Premises Liability Case
Some of the damages available to victims in premises liability cases include:
- Current medical expenses, such as ambulance transportation, doctor visits, hospitalization, medications, and surgeries
- Disability accommodations, such as modifications to your car or home
- Replacement services for tasks you can no longer perform around the house, such as yardwork, cleaning, and other household duties
- Lost quality of life
- Wages lost during recovery from the accident
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Mental anguish
- Future medical costs, such as in-home care, specialized medical equipment, therapies, follow-up visits, and rehabilitation
- Lost capacity to earn comparable income in the future
- Loss of ability to take part in enjoyable activities
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
If a person dies because of an accident on someone else’s property, the victim’s loved ones might be able to recover compensation for the wrongful death. This type of compensation is meant to help surviving loved ones cover some of the damages from their loss. This includes funeral and burial costs, emotional distress, loss of companionship, and loss of the victim’s income.
Statute of Limitations in Illinois Premises Liability Cases
Under the Illinois statute of limitations, victims usually have only two years from the date of an accident to file a premises liability claim. Once this deadline passes, victims typically lose their right to claim compensation – no matter who was to blame. This is why it’s critical to work with an experienced Waukegan premises liability attorney who has in-depth knowledge of Illinois laws and the exceptions to these rules.
How Our Waukegan Premises Liability Attorneys Can Help
Accident victims typically find it overwhelming to deal with the complications of filing a premises liability claim while they struggle to heal. When you work with our trusted Waukegan premises liability attorneys, we can handle all the details of the claim for you. This level of care allows you to focus on what’s most important – recovering from this tragic accident and the painful injuries it caused.
Some of the ways the skilled premises liability lawyers at Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C. can help with your case include:
- Listen to your personal story, help you understand your options, and craft a legal strategy customized to your unique circumstances
- Launch a full investigation to determine exactly what caused your accident and all the parties that might be liable
- Gather evidence to help prove your case
- Connect you to the resources you need to deal with the aftermath of the accident
- Determine the full amount of compensation you are owed
- Hire experts to testify to support your case, such as accident reconstruction consultants who can explain what caused the accident or medical specialists who can testify to the severity and impacts of your injuries
- Negotiate with the property owner and the insurance company on your behalf
- Manage all the paperwork and documentation needed for your claim
- Stand strong for your rights in settlement talks
- Fight for maximum compensation in court if a settlement is not reached in a timely manner
Don’t wait to get the legal advice you need after a tragic accident. If you were injured on someone else’s property, the dedicated attorneys at Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C. are here to help with every aspect of your case. To get started, contact our compassionate Waukegan premises liability lawyers right away for a free case evaluation.