Were you injured in a slip, trip, or fall accident in Waukegan? If so, know that you’re not alone. Legal help is available to you. Unfortunately, many slip-and-fall “accidents” aren’t accidental at all. Rather, they’re the result of negligence on the part of property owners and managers. When this is the case, victims deserve compensation for the losses suffered.
Contact the attorneys at Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C., for help with your slip and fall claim today. Since our firm’s founding more than 35 years ago, we have helped thousands of accident victims get the compensation they deserve. We’ve recovered more than $1.5 billion in compensation on behalf of our clients. This includes the largest compensatory verdict for an individual person in Illinois history.
To learn how we can help you, talk to an experienced Waukegan slip-and-fall lawyer today. The consultation is free.
How Do You File a Slip-and-Fall Claim in Illinois?
Filing a slip-and-fall claim can be complicated. So it is important to know the proper steps to take. Here’s what you should do after a slip-and-fall accident:
- See a doctor as soon as you can. Slip-and-fall accidents can result in serious medical problems, including traumatic brain injuries. The best way to ensure you get the care you need after a slip-and-fall accident is to see a doctor right away.
- Report the accident. Report the accident to the property owner or manager, a security guard, or someone else in authority on site. Submit the report in writing. Make sure you save a copy of the report for your records.
- Gather as much evidence as you can. Take photos of the scene. Talk to any witnesses and get their contact information. See if any surveillance cameras might have recorded your accident. Save your medical records and any letters you get from insurance companies. The more evidence documenting your injury and the circumstances that led to it, the greater your chance of securing adequate restitution.
- Keep a journal after the accident. Write down as many details about your accident as possible while they’re still fresh in your mind. In the days and weeks following the incident, keep a record of how you’re feeling and how your injuries impact your daily life.
- Don’t speak to any insurance companies before talking to a lawyer. Anything you say to an insurance company can be used against you later. You’re better off letting an attorney speak to the insurer on your behalf.
- Stay away from social media. Don’t make any comments about your accident on your social media profiles. Even if you have strict privacy settings, there are always ways for insurance companies and others to find your posts and use the information against you.
- Talk to a premises liability attorney ASAP. There are important deadlines if you wish to file a slip-and-fall accident claim. A lawyer can help you gather the evidence you need in a timely manner. You’ll need a lawyer’s help to get the greatest value for your claim.
Should You Hire a Slip-and-Fall Lawyer in Waukegan?
If you sustained serious or long-term injuries in a fall, you should speak to an attorney as soon as possible. A lawyer experienced with handling personal injury lawsuits can help by:
- Gathering evidence to support your claim
- Finding the right doctors to treat your injury
- Representing you in talks with insurance companies and other lawyers
- Negotiating for the maximum settlement possible
- Preparing your case for trial if a settlement is not reached
What Is the Statute of Limitations in Waukegan for a Slip-and-Fall?
The statute of limitations for slip-and-fall claims in Illinois is two years from the date of the accident. If you file your claim after this deadline has passed, you will lose your chance to recover any compensation.
Here are some of the most common questions we get about slip-and-fall claims in Illinois:
How much is my slip-and-fall case worth?
Every slip-and-fall case is different. The amount you can receive will depend on a number of factors:
- How badly you were injured
- Whether you missed any time at work and for how long
- The impact your injuries have on your quality of life
If your slip-and-fall claim is successful, you can potentially receive compensation for your:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced ability to earn a living in the future
- Physical pain and suffering
- Any mental anguish caused by your injuries
What should I do if I’ve been hurt in a slip-and-fall?
Your first step after any slip-and-fall is to see a doctor to make sure you don’t have any life-threatening injuries. After that, you want to gather as much evidence as you can. Then talk to a lawyer as soon as possible to begin an investigation into your claim.
Where are the most common places that falls happen?
Some of the most common places where these accidents happen include:
- People’s homes
- Apartment complexes and other rental properties
- Restaurants and bars
- Movie theaters
- Public parks
- Swimming pools
- Construction sites
- Parking lots
- Nursing homes and assisted-living facilities
- Sports stadiums
- Amusement parks
What are the most common causes of slip-and-fall accidents?
Some of the most common causes of slip-and-falls include:
- Spilled liquids on the floor
- Slippery sidewalks and parking lots (especially after snow and other bad weather)
- Objects left on the floor
- Poorly maintained sidewalks
- Ripped or torn carpets
- Unsafe stairways
- Slipping on ice
How Our Waukegan Slip-and-Fall Lawyers Can Help
Our law firm has a long history of successful slip-and-fall claims. Our diverse legal team has the skill and determination to fight for your best interests every step of the way. To get started, call our Waukegan office at (847) 249-1227 or visit our contact page. The consultation is free.