After a car accident, you may be facing expensive medical bills, time out of work, and daily pain that disrupts your life in ways you never could have imagined. If someone else was to blame for your crash, though, you can seek financial relief for the damages you have suffered.
If you’ve been hurt in a collision in Waukegan, an experienced car accident attorney can help you demand the full compensation you need to recover and move forward with your life. The dedicated Waukegan personal injury lawyers at Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C., have extensive experience fighting for the rights of those hurt in accidents caused by negligence.
Schedule your free consultation with us today to learn how we can make a difference for you.
How Can a Waukegan Car Accident Attorney Help You?
If you have never been injured in an auto accident before, you may wonder why you would need a lawyer. Why not just let the insurance company work it out? Unfortunately, the insurance company is not on your side. Its goal is to minimize payouts as much as possible.
An attorney represents your best interests in a car accident claim and can help you in many ways. Here’s how:
- Performing a thorough investigation. While insurers will perform an initial investigation, these companies ultimately use formulas to figure out what to pay. Their adjusters are out to save the company money because, ultimately, that’s their goal as a business. You need a lawyer who understands what you’ve been through and the full impact of your injuries in order to prove the total extent of your damages.
- Collecting extensive evidence. An experienced Waukegan car accident lawyer will gather police reports, medical records, photographs, surveillance videos, witness statements, and other evidence to craft a strong claim for compensation.
- Hiring experts. To negotiate a full settlement or prove your claim in court, you need to make a convincing argument about your injuries. Sometimes that means that your lawyer will need to consult with a doctor and other experts to testify about your experience, pain, lasting side effects, and the financial impact of your injuries in the long term.
- Building a thorough legal argument that demands full, fair compensation. This includes not only initial expenses related to the crash, but long-term damages you are expected to suffer. A skilled lawyer will conduct a careful calculation of all your losses.
- Negotiating aggressively on your behalf. The driver who hit you will have an insurance company with a team of lawyers on its side. Your lawyer will be prepared to aggressively negotiate on your behalf and manage all back and forth with the insurance company.
- Taking your case to court. If the at-fault party refuses to pay for the damages they caused, an attorney will be ready to take your case to trial to fight for the compensation and justice you deserve.
Types of Car Accident Compensation
Under Illinois state law, you have the right to compensation when a negligent or reckless driver injures you. At Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C., we will conduct a thorough assessment of the losses you have suffered to ensure we are demanding the maximum amount you are entitled to receive. This may include compensation for:
- Your medical expenses, including the bills you’ve already paid and those you can expect related to your injury
- The money you lost because of the work you missed when you were hurt
- A reduction in your earning capacity for the future
- Costs to repair or replace your vehicle
- An amount that represents your physical and mental pain and suffering
You need an experienced car crash attorney on your side to maximize the value of your claim. Schedule a free consultation today with a Waukegan car accident attorney to discuss the specific details of your case.
Time Limit for Filing an Auto Accident Claim
If you’ve been hurt in a Waukegan car accident, you only have a limited amount of time to begin your car crash claim. It’s a good idea to contact a lawyer as soon as possible after you’ve been hurt.
Under Illinois state law, your personal injury claim must be filed before the two-year statute of limitations. That’s a legal term for the deadline you have to meet when filing your claim for compensation. Put simply, you have two years from the date of your collision to file your auto accident claim.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Car Crash in Waukegan
In the moments after you are injured in a car crash, you should know there are some steps you can take to protect your legal rights:
- Call the authorities. The resulting official police report will constitute an important part of your personal injury claim.
- Save evidence. Take photographs of the scene, your injuries, and anything else that might be relevant. Ask for contact information from any witnesses or other involved parties.
- Don’t give statements. Tell the truth to any police or official authorities, but don’t talk too much to the other people involved in your crash. Never give a statement to insurance representatives without speaking to a lawyer first.
- Get medical help immediately. This will ensure you are getting the treatment you need and that your injuries are properly documented.
- Contact a lawyer. Having an attorney on your side from the very beginning can ensure your rights are protected and that you are not taken advantage of by insurance adjusters.
Talk to a Waukegan Car Accident Lawyer Now
At Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C., we believe in providing compassionate, personalized service to all of our clients. Our goal is to pursue the maximum amount of compensation possible for your car accident injury claim. Call us today to schedule a free consultation. We do not charge any attorney fees upfront, and you only pay us if we win compensation in your case.