In 2010, 927 people died in 858 crashes in Illinois, according to the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). An additional 88,937 persons suffered injuries in motor vehicle crashes.
If you or a loved one was injured in a Chicago-area car accident, you have the legal right to hold the at-fault party accountable. For decades, the personal injury attorneys at Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C., have helped victims of serious car crashes obtain money to cover their medical bills, lost earnings, rehabilitation costs, and pain and suffering. We want to help you, too.
Call our Chicago and Waukegan car accident attorneys today at 877-975-7991 or contact us online. We represent clients throughout the Chicagoland area and across Illinois, including residents of Cook and Lake counties. We can provide you with a free, no-obligation initial consultation.
Causes of Chicago Car Accidents
Chicago car accidents can be attributed to a wide variety of causes. The Chicago car accident lawyers of Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C., frequently investigate wrecks with causes that include:
- Distracted driving – Chicago already has laws banning different types of distracted driving, such as texting while driving or talking on a cell phone behind the wheel. Oak Park officials are currently considering a ban on eating, drinking and applying makeup while driving as well.
- Driver impairment – More than 350 fatal car crashes in Illinois in 2010 were alcohol-related, according to IDOT. Other forms of impairment include the use of drugs (including illegal substances, prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications), fatigue and illness.
- Defective car parts – Faulty vehicle parts, such as seat belts, accelerator controls, wiring, wheels, tire blowouts and brake failures, can lead to violent and often fatal car crashes.
- Poor road conditions – Uneven pavement or potholes can cause deadly crashes and life-threatening injuries to motorists. Other threats include foreign obstacles or substances on the road surface. These can cause drivers to swerve suddenly or to overcorrect the vehicle as they try to regain control.
- Speeding – Driving at speeds exceeding safe conditions based on the weather, road conditions, traffic or the speed of surrounding motorists frequently causes Chicago car crashes.
- Inadequate road design – Some roads are notorious for being accident “black spots” for many reasons, including alignment, visibility, surface conditions and road markings.
Our Attorneys Help People Hurt In Chicago Car Wrecks
Car accidents lead to all sorts of injuries. Some crashes cause only minor bumps, bruises or soreness. However, other collisions can cause devastating and life-changing damage in just a few seconds.
At Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C. our car accident attorneys have helped people who have suffered any number of injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – A TBI can result from impact with an object, such as the steering wheel or car dashboard. It can lead to lifelong disabilities.
- Spinal cord injury – Spinal cord injuries often lead to incapacitating paralysis, paraplegia, quadriplegia (also called tetraplegia) and hemiplegia.
- Neck injuries – The highest number of injuries in Chicago-area car wrecks result from rear-end collisions. Neck injuries commonly result from these accidents. The head often whips forward and back in response to the impact. This produces whiplash and other cervical injuries.
- Broken bones – It is not uncommon for victims of car accidents to suffer broken bones in the arms, legs, knees and wrists. This occurs when they brace for impact with the other vehicle. The fracture may be serious enough to require surgery. It may also require weeks or months to properly heal.
- Amputation – A body part may be fully severed in the auto crash. Other severe injuries, such as a crushed limb, may require amputation due to tissue damage and heavy bleeding.
How Much Money Will I Get After My Chicago Car Accident?
Studies show that insurance companies pay, on average, almost triple the amount of money in cases where the victim is represented by a car accident lawyer. But every crash has its own set of complexities. How much compensation you receive can be based on a number of factors.
In general, victims of car accidents can receive funds to cover:
- Medical bills
- Hospital expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering.
Contact Our Chicago Car Accident Attorneys Today
Proving negligence in a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit based on a car crash can be complex. It takes an investment of time, experience and resources. An experienced Chicago car accident lawyer can provide these advantages. Protect yourself and your loved ones by contacting Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard, P.C., for a free, no-obligation evaluation of your case. We represent clients throughout Chicago and Illinois, including those in Cook and Lake counties. Call us today at 877-975-7991 or use our online contact form.