Patients are forced to put a lot of faith into the hands of doctors and other medical professionals. Unfortunately, healthcare providers do not always live up to this trust. If you were injured, disabled, or suffered other severe health complications due to suspected medical negligence, you may be entitled to financial compensation through a medical malpractice lawsuit.
However, medical malpractice claims can be highly complex. They must go through a complicated legal process, and malpractice insurance companies tend to aggressively defend against these claims. Worrying about those matters is the last thing you need during a time when you should be focused on your health and your family.
This is why you should work with an experienced Chicago medical malpractice lawyer. Your lawyer will take the proper steps to protect your legal rights and seek full and fair compensation for you and your family. Specifically, here are six benefits that you can receive from working with a lawyer on your medical malpractice claim:
- You will receive a comprehensive review of your case. Medical malpractice occurs in many different ways. It can involve anything from a surgical error to a missed or delayed diagnosis. With that said, not all negative medical outcomes result from malpractice. If a medical professional’s conduct meets the relevant standard of care, or if the doctor’s negligence does not serve as the proximate cause of the harm that you or a loved one suffered, then you likely cannot seek damages through a medical malpractice lawsuit.If you or your family member suffered harm after receiving medical treatment, it is imperative that you have your case reviewed by a medical malpractice lawyer. The lawyer can conduct an in-depth investigation into the specific circumstances surrounding your claim, including reviewing your medical records and interviewing witnesses. This review will allow your lawyer to give you guidance on whether to move forward with pursuing a claim.
- You will not have to worry about meeting deadlines.Illinois has a statute of limitations that applies to medical malpractice cases. Missing the deadline could destroy an otherwise valid medical malpractice case. For this reason, if you were the victim of malpractice, you will need to take immediate action in order to protect your rights.Under Illinois law, victims have two years to initiate their medical malpractice claim. The two-year clock starts on the date that the patient knew or should have known about the underlying injury that gave rise to their lawsuit. In some cases, this is the same date that the medical negligence occurred. In other cases, it may have been impossible for a patient to discover the harm for months or even years. Regardless, under no circumstances can you file a medical malpractice claim more than four years after the date of the negligence in Illinois.Your Chicago medical malpractice lawyer will make sure that you meet the statute of limitations deadline as well as all other relevant deadlines in your case. With medical negligence cases, you should never wait to act. The best thing you can do to protect your rights is to consult with a qualified legal professional as soon as possible after you recognize your injuries or health complications.
- You won’t have to tangle with the insurance companies. In general, medical malpractice claims are defended by large insurance carriers. These companies tend to work aggressively to limit or avoid liability. As a result, dealing with the insurance company can be frustrating, confusing and stressful.One of the biggest benefits of being represented by an experienced medical malpractice lawyer is that you will be relieved of dealing with any paperwork or requests from the insurance company. Your lawyer will take care of all interactions with the insurer, make sure that you are treated fairly, and protect your best interests at every stage of the process.
- Your lawyer will understand medical malpractice law (and help you to understand it as well).To prevail in a medical malpractice lawsuit, a plaintiff must prove that the medical professional or healthcare provider is actually legally responsible for their injuries or illness. Establishing liability is rarely an easy task. You need a Chicago medical malpractice attorney who has a comprehensive understanding of the requirements under Illinois law.As explained in the Illinois Courts’ Jury Instructions on Professional Negligence, a plaintiff must prove that the medical professional fell short of the accepted standard of care. Your lawyer will be able to put together the evidence needed to establish what the standard of care was in your case, whether the medical professional (or professionals) failed to meet this standard, and how this breach caused harm to you or your loved ones.In the process, your lawyer can explain how the law applies to your case and answer any questions you may have about your rights and options. You should never be left in the dark about your case.
- Your lawyer will receive insights from knowledgeable experts.When you work with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer in Chicago, you benefit from the lawyer’s resources and connections. This is extremely valuable in medical malpractice claims. Your lawyer should be able to turn to knowledgeable experts in the area of medicine that your case involves. The lawyer can determine whether the standard of care was met in your case, or whether a medical professional likely committed malpractice.
- Your attorney will fight for full and fair compensation for you.You and your family deserve the maximum available compensation if you suffered harm due to medical negligence. It is crucial that you know exactly what your case is worth. If you do not, the insurance company may try to take advantage of you. Your attorney will carefully calculate all damages in your case, which may include:– Past medical bills
– Costs of ongoing medical care and rehabilitation
– Lost income
– Diminishment of your future earning capacity
– Pain and suffering
– Emotional trauma
– Physical disfigurement.A lawyer will compile and present the evidence in your case and deal firmly with the insurance company (or companies) to secure a settlement. However, by preparing a solid case, your lawyer will be ready to take your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to accept liability or challenges the amount that you seek in damages.
You Need a Medical Malpractice Attorney Who Will Protect Your Rights
At Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C., our Illinois medical malpractice lawyers have decades of experience with protecting the rights and financial interests of harmed patients and their families. If you or your loved one was the victim of medical negligence, we will stand up for you and aggressively pursue the compensation that you deserve. For a free and confidential consultation about your case, contact us today through our offices in Chicago and Waukegan.